Mittwoch, 9. Januar 2013

Michael Oehme: The Press Worldwide

Investigation into press freedom in China
1.Terms of Reference
I am a 24- year old journalist who always eager for knowledge.
My area of expertise is investigative journalism.
Because of this force I get a good job at “The New York Times“immediately after finishing my university studies.
After a wide experience and research on animal protection which was absolutely succesful my boss asked me to write a report on press freedom in China.

2. Proceedings
When I first thought about press freedom in China I already knew about the censorship of the press.
I often heard about journalist who were brutally hurt, arrested or even killed if they critisize the government.
I found a good deal of information on the internet.

3.Findings=FACTS
It is strictly forbidden to speak out critical of the regime.
There are 32 reporter and 51 Internet unser in jail because of their freedom of expression.
The public authorities frighten people  with violence.
Fu Xian Cai is chinese farmer and civil-rights activist.
He was beaten by strangers after an interview in Germany about an embanking.
Now he is paralysed and the offenders are still unknown.
The national security is more important than the citizen who live here.
Social Networks like “Twitter“ are also forbidden.
Topics like peasant uprising or mine accidents are “sesitive issues“ so for journalists it is dangerous to life to work on those investigative questions.
Foreign journalists needs a special permit to take pictures and they often have to rewrite texts like “Polishers“ of the government.
Usually they do not stay longer than 11 months

4. Conclusion
I asked myself why China treats the citizens inhuman.
In my opinion China has the same problem like every other undemocratic country because their most dangerous enemy is the media.
Furthermore China is an important trading partner for many countries in the world.
They will not risk to lose them by embarressing the government in public.
Nevertheless the modern information and communication technology is a good way for expression of opinion and it is impossible to control this absolutely.
I will take the job offer because I am not afraid to tell the truth.
I am a journalist who has to do her job even if I put myself in danger.
I will behave responsible and  look thoroughly into  the chinese circumstances.
By VL/ Michael Oehme

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen